Pages Navigation Menu

Point No Point: Lighthouse Transfer; History

Point No Point: Lighthouse Transfer; History
Share

The United States Department of Interior announced that the Point No Point Lighthouse would be transferred to Kitsap County for ownership. They announced this on Wednesday, July 18, 2012 along with one lighthouse ownership transfer (The News Tribune 2012). Slides of the lighthouse and surrounding landscape are at the base of the post.

Location

The Point No Point Lighthouse is located on the northern end of the Kitsap Peninsula, which branches northwest from Washington state’s Olympic Peninsula. The lighthouse stands at the end of a quarter-mile long spit near Kitsap County’s Hansville, Washington. It overlooks waters at the intersection of Admiralty Inlet and Puget Sound.

Point No Point Lighthouse History

The Point No Point Lighthouse is the oldest in Puget Sound. Several of its buildings remain extant. Remaining structures include a square light tower, a fog signal building, an oil house, and nearby keepers quarters (The News Tribune 2012).

A few key points in its history follow, courtesy of Lighthousefriends.com (2001-2012):

  • The lighthouse was fully functional shortly after February 1, 1880, when the last pieces (glass panes) arrived.
  • Construction began in 1879.
  • The request to build the lighthouse began in 1872.
  • Several lighthouses already guided ships through the Strait of Juan de Fuca, as they were constructed during the 1850s and early 1860s. However, none shone within Puget Sound, which was often the ships’ destination. The Point No Point Lighthouse was the first one constructed in Puget Sound.
  • From 1893 to 1914, the wife of one of the keepers ran the community post office. Later, the wife of another keeper ran a store in town and operated a weather reporting station.
  • In 1977, the lighthouse was fully automated.
  • Before its construction, the Point No Point Treaty was signed on the spit in 1855 by the leaders of the Chimacum, Skokomish, and S’Klallam tribes, and by territorial governor Isaac Stevens.

The Ownership Transfer (from Lighthousefriends.com 2001-2012; The News Tribune 2012)

  • In 2009, the Coast Guard offered the Point No Point Lighthouse to eligible entities at no charge after they deemed it to be excess.
  • It was offered under the provisions of the National Historic Lighthouse Preservation Act of 2000.
  • Kitsap County submitted an application in April 2010. The county expressed interest in ownership as early as 1992.
  • The Coast Guard announced the Point No Point Lighthouse transfer to the county on Wednesday, July 18, 2012.
  • One other lighthouse was transferred under the National Historic Preservation Act of 2012 on the same day: the one at Port Austin, Michigan on Lake Huron to a private entity.

References

Lighthousefriends.com

2001 – 2012   Point No Point Lighthouse, Washington. Webpage of Lighthousefriends.com. Electronic document, http://www.lighthousefriends.com/light.asp?ID=110, accessed July 28, 2012.

The News Tribune

2012   Kitsap County to Own Lighthouse. The News Tribune (published online July 22, 2012). Electronic document, http://www.thenewstribune.com/2012/07/22/2222935/kitsap-county-to-own-lighthouse.html, accessed July 28, 2012.

Creative Commons License
Point No Point: Lighthouse Transfer; History by S is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.


Print pagePDF pageEmail page
Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Howdy! Share your thoughts!

%d bloggers like this: