VideoLink: PBS Newshour Interview with Hans Gosling: Education Through Entertainment and Statistics
Recently, Ray Suarez of the PBS NewsHour interviewed Hans Gosling after he was honored with a humanitarian award at the annual Action Against Hunger gala in New York City. The PBS NewsHour aired the interview and associated story of his work on Monday, March 5, 2012. The interview and Gapminder website, which Gosling co-founded, are linked at the base of this post.
But first a little about Gosling from the PBS Newshour interview (Suarez 2012) and his profile on the TED website (TED Conferences, LLC n.d. [also linked at base post]):
- He mesmerizes audiences with statistics of the world through his great visual techniques, including sword swallowing.
- He practiced medicine during the 1970s in rural Mozambique, which started his career in global health.
- He now chairs the Gapminder Institute, which builds a fact-based world view for everyone to understand (website linked at base to illustrate).
- He co-founded Doctors Without Borders (Médecins sans Frontièrs) Sweden.
- At Sweden’s Karolinska Institute, he is a professor of global health.
- He gained international fame in 2006 after lecturing at the TED conference. The video of his lecture went viral. TED has since posted additional videos of his talks.
- He swallows swords.
2012 Hans Rosling Brings Life, Humor, Sword-Swallowing to Global Health Statistics. PBS Newshour (broadcast online March 5, 2012). Electronic document, http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/globalhealth/jan-june12/hansrosling_03-05.html, accessed March 6, 2012.
TED Conferences, LLC
n.d. Speakers: Hans Gosling: Global Health Expert; Data Visionary. Profile on TED.com. TED: Ideas Worth Spreading website. Electronic document, http://www.ted.com/speakers/hans_rosling.html, accessed March 6, 2012.
VideoLink: PBS Newshour Interview with Hans Gosling: Education Through Entertainment and Statistics by Shari Maria Silverman is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.